Ah quesadillas, so cheesy, so yummy. How about a lighter version that is full of protein that you can make in 10 minutes and even freeze for later use ?!
I opted for the easy method and when I say easy it means I may be using frozen spinach instead of the fresh leaves and canned beans instead of making my own. I used to be very specific about only using whole foods and making everything from scratch but convenience is key these days. I encourage to use fresh and not canned but I’m just being transparent about what I used for this!
-1 can of white beans (cannellini)
-frozen spinach * If you use fresh spinach, just lightly sautee in a pan and set aside.*
-fresh lemon juice
-red chili flakes
-mozzarella cheese or your favorite melty cheese
-whole wheat flour tortillas (try to buy the larger size)
-salt to taste
-plain non-fat greek yogurt to substitute for sour cream
1. Drain beans from the can, rinse, and place in mixing bowl. Take your frozen spinach and heat as directed (I used about 1.5 cups). Drain the excess water from the spinach and add to the mixing bowl with the beans.
2. Mash them together. Add your desired amount of garlic powder, red chili flakes, lemon juice and salt. Then you’ll have the filling ready to go!
3. Place your tortilla in a pan over low-medium heat. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over your tortilla until mostly melted.
4. Get your filling and spread it out on just half of the tortilla. Once the tortilla is just crispy enough and all the cheese has melted, flip the cheesy side over to make a half-moon shaped quesadilla.
5. Cut into triangles, serve with salsa and greek yogurt, enjoy !