It’s almost that time of the year to bust out the grill and show off your pit-master skills. Since I don’t own an outdoor grill, I’ve coined myself the bona fide queen of the cast-iron grill, which is a great alternative to a traditional grill that allows for tender and juicy meats. Say goodbye to winter veggies, hearty soups and hello to all things grilled like marinated steaks, grilled veggies, and skewers!
I love flavors from around the world and one that stands out to me is Mediterranean. I wanted to make something that could be healthy yet bursting with flavor. Check out how to make these Mediterranean-inspired Chicken Kebabs.
What you’ll need:
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, cut into bitesize pieces
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
- 1 large red onion, cut into bitesize wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Skewers (I used wooden and cut them in half to fit the skillet)
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, turmeric, olive oil, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix well.
- Take your chicken thighs or breasts and trim any excess fat. Then cut into bitesize pieces. In a large pyrex, lay the chicken and pour the mixture to cover every piece. Coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- After marinating overnight, thread the meat onto skewers, making sure not to cram the pieces too tight. Alternate with the red onions. This can get messy.
- Place your skillet on medium-high heat and lightly grease with a little bit of vegetable oil. Grill the chicken kebabs until cooked through and using tongs, rotate sides until golden brown.
- Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve with rice or your choice of side! Enjoy, xo <3